Many physical therapists think that they can not perform and get reimbursed for diagnostics tests. To address this question with facts, we are providing below excerpts of your State’s Practice Act and using Medicare as an example, show you possible reimbursements for four diagnostic tests.
If this piques your curiosity and you would like to discuss how you could implement diagnostics into your practice and start getting reimbursed quickly, please Click to access our calendar and set an appointment. This is about a business opportunity, not just CEU courses.
The Physical Therapy Practice Act of the State of Montana defines Physical Therapy as
(1) Physical therapy evaluation includes the administration, interpretation, and evaluation of tests and measurements of bodily functions and structures; the development of a plan of treatment; consultative, educational, and other advisory services; and instruction and supervision of supportive personnel.
(2) Treatment employs, for therapeutic effects, physical measures, activities and devices, for preventive and therapeutic purposes, exercises, rehabilitative procedures, massage, mobilization, and physical agents including but not limited to mechanical devices, heat, cold, air, light, water, electricity, and sound.
(3) The evaluation and treatment procedures listed in subsections (1) and (2) may be performed by a licensed physical therapist without referral.
EMG/NCS Testing uses electricity and Musculoskeletal Ultrasound uses sound waves for the evaluation (testing and measurement) of the neuro-musculoskeletal system.
APTA fully supports PTs practicing EMG/NCS Testing as it is within the scope of Physical Therapy Practice. The Orthopedic Section of the APTA in a white paper not only advocates the use of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Imaging within the scope of practice for Physical Therapy but also endorses its application both for diagnostic as well as procedural purposes to aid neuromuscular re-education, dry needling and electroneuromyography.
Find here information about Direct Access to Physical Therapy in your state.
Here is an example of a 2016 Medicare fee schedule for a variety of diagnostic testing for a selection of CPT codes and corresponding number of units. Insurances usually pay a multiple or a percentage of the medicare fee schedule*.
Click Here to contact us, or call 888-447-6014 ext 1
We will help you calculate the possible:
• Total Reimbursement per Patient & ROI (Return On Investment) For You!
• How You Can Get Started Being Reimbursed for Diagnostics NOW
*This fee schedule were taken from the website of your regional Medicare Intermediary’s site around Sept. 2016 without modifier. Click here to view a Medicare Intermediary for your state. This fee schedule does not necessarily represent the exact amount of reimbursement you will receive as billing patterns and code selection varies. Please feel free to verify the current figures.”